The Kärnäkoski fortress is located on the Saimaa shore next to a rapid that connected Saimaa and Kuolimo. It was built in 1793 as part of Russia’s outermost chain of fortifications against Sweden. The fortress was used to monitor water traffic between Lappeenranta and Savonlinna and road traffic along the Lappeenranta-Mikkeli road. No stone was excavated to build the fortress; instead, the boulders used were collected from nearby terrain. The stones include dark amphibolite, grey mica gneiss, tonalite and granodiorite, and are mostly rectangular. Some of the boulders are also roundish; these do not represent the local bedrock and were apparently glacially transported from a few kilometres away. Some of the fortress’ foundations have been restored by the National Board of Antiquities. There are fantastic views over labyrinthine Saimaa from the fortress.
Coordinates: x=538116,544 y=6792199,623 (ETRS-TM35FIN)
The above coordinates are working in GPS-devices and karttapaikka.fi services.
The below coordinates are working in Google maps services.
Coordinates: 61.240526563, 27.567464865 (ETRS89 maantieteelliset(~WGS84))
Image: Arto Hämäläinen